2Morrow’s Chronic Pain Program
A Fresh Approach for Living with Chronic Pain
Groundbreaking research on chronic pain has upended the ways we think about--and treat--chronic pain. Instead of compartmentalizing the brain, body, emotions and thoughts, new research shows that they work together to affect pain. 2Morrow's program addresses the important behavioral aspect of treatment plans that is often missed: keeping your life on track as you live with chronic pain.
The Science: Using behavioral science based on a third-wave CBT approach called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, or ACT, this program teaches skills that can help living with chronic pain be a bit less painful.
The program was created in collaboration with Dr. Kevin Vowles, a behavioral scientist who studies and treats patients with chronic pain. There have been over a dozen published RCT (studies) on ACT for Chronic Pain. The goal is improvements in function, coping, and quality of life. In clinical testing, practicing ACT skills has reported outcomes such as:
- Reductions in pain-related anxiety
- Increased activity and physical function
- Reduction in disability
- Improvements in Mood / Decreases in Depression
- Reductions pain-related medical visits
- Reductions in use of some prescribed analgesics(3)
“The American Psychological Association’s Society of Clinical Psychology has given its highest rating of Strong Research Support for the clinical use of ACT with chronic pain patients” says Dr. Vowles. “2Morrow’s approach is exciting because it has the potential to extend access to people who would not otherwise have access to these behavioral concepts and skills.”
How does It work?
Participants start by creating a profile that is used to customize the program. They then embark on a guided journey that explores their values and goals and teaches practical skills to deal with the “Pain Monster” so they can live with pain and still move toward the life they desire.
- Define Values and Goals: Throughout the program, participants will be asked to consider their core values and goals.
- Learn: Unlock over 30 bite-sized lessons and exercises that teach actionable skills.
- Practice: Practice the skills and concepts and track progress in the app.
- Take Action: Define actions participants are willing to take in pursuit of their goals, and then practice doing those in real life.
- See Progress: View progress as they move through the program and earn a Certificate of Completion.
- Get Help: If they have questions or need help they can message a real coach.
2Morrow is an industry leader in providing mobile apps for behavioral change. Our programs are easy to launch, distribute, and manage whether you are an employer, wellness program, or health plan. The programs are private and non-judgmental for the end user. 2Morrow’s programs use an ACT-based approach to dealing with unhelpful thoughts, feelings, and urges to help patients reach their health goals.
The Chronic Pain program is part of the 2Morrow Health Platform and can be offered alone or with our suite of programs including Weight, Stress, and Smoking Cessation.
Whether you are a health plan, employer, wellness program, or state government, 2Morrow's affordable Chronic Pain program is easy to incorporate into your current offering.
1. State of the ACT Evidence (19 RCT studies on ACT for Pain) - ACBS Website
3. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Chronic Pain: Evidence of Mediation and Clinically Significant Change Following an Abbreviated Interdisciplinary Program of Rehabilitation, Kevin E. Vowles, Katie Witkiewitz, Gail Sowden, Julie Ashworth, Journal of Pain, Volume 15, Issue 1, Pages 101–113, 2014
"At the 3-month follow-up, 46.2% of patients achieved clinically significant change, and 58.9% achieved reliable change, in at least 1 key measure of functioning (depression, pain anxiety, and disability). Changes in measures of psychological flexibility significantly mediated changes in disability, depression, pain-related anxiety, number of medical visits, and the number of classes of prescribed analgesics."